On Saturday, April 24, 210 over 175 volunteers got together in the early morning to spruce up Pioneer Square. Projects included:
- Weeding, planting & mulching the 1st Ave Medians
- Graffiti Paint Out
- Litter Pick Up
- Fortson Square beautification
- Storm Drain Stenciling
- Protective coating added to mural on 2nd & Washington
A special thank you should go to the City of Seattle Clean & Green Team, Councilmember Sally Bagshaw (who showed up to help), Mahlum, and Seattle Paint Out. Without them this event would not have been possible.
Here are a few photos from one section of the spring clean taken by a participant:
One of the participants in the spring clean decided to informally poll the other participants to identify problem areas and to share their dream ideas for the neighborhood.
Here is what he got:
- Better posting of neighborhood shop hours
- Consistency in business hours, more shops open in the “tween” times from 5-9
- “Better” / cheaper parking on Saturdays ?Free Saturdays?
- Better lighting in all parking areas
- Better sight lines, lighting and safety on Occidental st between Yesler & Washington people feel nervous next the Saveway “grocery store”
- More evening businesses
- Neighborhood evening live concert venues
- Better branding and neighborhood identity